Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Day Before

Coming into Los Angeles
Bringing in a couple of keys
Don't touch my bags if you please
Mister Customs Man

----Arlo Guthrie

Ok... Well here I am on the threshold of another General Convention of the Episcopal Church and I leave tomorrow morning at 6:30 AM from Allentown to Cleveland and then from there to LAX where my friend Laura is picking me up and depositing me at the Anaheim Hilton.


My big, fat red suitcase is full of mostly clothing and toiletries. All the errands that consume you prior to a 15 day trip have put me on overload. Buying more underwear, shorts (after all it IS California), washing every thread of clothing I have, picking up a suit at the dry cleaner, getting a bunch of cash, confirming flight on-line, filling prescriptions and counting pills (golly I wouldn't want to be without my "dolls" in California!), getting enough Dramamine and Melatonin from my friend Dixie to knock me out so I won't wake up until LAX, taking the dog to "puppy camp", BUYING a suitcase, signing up for Boingo, remembering to bring my stole and Prayer Book/Hymnal, charging the camera batteries, the list goes on and on. I won't be bringing a "couple of keys" but I will be shlepping a suitcase, backpack and garment bag.

I think of the Gospel lesson this morning where Jesus sent out his disciples with only a staff. Clearly, Jesus was not sending the 12 Disciples to the General Convention! I think I would not last long at the GC if I only had the clothes on my back and a big stick (not even a toothbrush???)

I am full of excitement, anticipation and responsibility to the Church in a strange way to make thoughtful, theological and Anglican decisons--although my friend Patrick and I had a debate just last night on what constituted "Anglican". I will see old friends, make new ones, and get an experience of the Episcopal Church that, bar none, gives you as close an experience of its breadth and diversity as possible. When I sidle up to the word "catholic" in the creed my mind goes to images from being part of this once-every-three-year event. Its absolutely phenomenal.

Tomorrow it starts at 3am when I rise, drink coffee, shower, throw the last minute stuff into my bags and wait for Mike to pick me up at 5am to make my 6:30am flight from ABE International to Cleveland, then a big plane across the continent to the City of Angels. Pray for me, pray for us, and pray that God's will be done in all things the next 2 weeks. A parishioner sent me a quote from EB White which aptly conveys my attitude in most of life but particularly on the verge of General Convention....

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. ~ E.B. White



I pray always to be able to do both! Stay tuned!






.

No comments:

Post a Comment